Welcome to 2015! We hope everyone enjoyed the holiday season, and you are ready to start the New Year. Humanity Road stayed busy until the end of 2014 monitoring man-made and natural disaster around the globe. Check out what has been accomplished in the past couple of weeks:
The past 2 weeks our volunteers were monitoring:
- Earthquake – Algeria
- Two shallow earthquakes occurred close together in a highly populated area near Blida, Algeria.
- Initial damage reports indicated serious building damage, but no injuries.
- Tornadoes – Louisiana & Mississippi
- Tornadoes broke out in Louisiana and Mississippi, while severe weather hit Alabama and Florida causing widespread flooding.
- 15-20 houses were damaged in LA, and over 100 were damaged in MS.
- The tornado in MS caused 4 fatalities and injured 50.
- Humanity Road posted information regarding officials to follow, preparedness and safety information, situational awareness information, and locations of shelters and food trucks on Twitter and Facebook.
- Air Asia Flight #8501
- Air Asia flight #8501, travelling from Indonesia to Singapore was confirmed missing on December 27th, 2014.
- The flight had 155 passengers on board, according to the Indonesian Transport Ministry
- Ferry Fire – Corfu, Greece
- A fire broke out on the car deck of the Italian-flagged Norman Atlantic ferry, traveling from the Greek port of Patras to Ancona, Italy. The ferry was carrying 423 passengers and 55 crewmembers on board, trapping passengers on the top decks. Gale-force winds and choppy seas hampered the evacuation.
- Evacuation of the ferry was completed on December 30th, with 10 confirmed dead and several passengers still unaccounted for.
- Tropical Storm Seniang – Philippines
- Southern Philippines suffered extreme flooding, landslides and communications impacts due to TS Seniang.
- A bridge in Cebu collapsed killing 15 people.
- HR connected the urgent request for volunteers in Bantayan to assist in Cebu via the MovePH Facebook group. Information about impacted locations was also released.
Other Humanity Road activities in the past 2 weeks:
- Read Chris Thompson’s blog: ‘When Silence is a Cry for Help’ or a Guest Post by Dian Fowles: ‘Disaster: An Australian Perspective’
- Fundraising efforts for 2014 wrapped up this week.
- New intern orientation for the spring semester is currently underway. For more info on the intern applications, deadlines, etc., please contact Robin – [email protected]
Curious about Humanity Road? Would you like to join us? Start by visiting Humanity Road’s volunteer page.