Humanity Road monitors man-made and natural disaster around the globe. Here is what has been monitored and accomplished in the past week:
In the past week our volunteers were monitoring:
- Fuego (Fire) Volcano Eruption – Guatemala
- The volcano erupted February 7th, causing the evacuation of about 100 people and the closing of the Guatemala City airport due to ash.
- Humanity Road volunteers searched for relevant information on the Internet and twitter. No urgent needs were found.
- Earthquake (M6.7) – El Aguilar, Argentina
- 2 Earthquake struck at a depth of 230 km in the mountains near Jujuy, Argentina along the border of Bolivia and Chile.
- Volunteers monitored for urgent needs and aftershocks.
- Volunteers shared information about the quake, in the “Did you feel it?” survey link, and posted information on Twitter and facebook.
- Bridge Collapse – Pitampura, Delhi, India,
- At least 3 injured. A bridge has collapsed in Delhi’s Pitampura area, police sources said on Thursday, adding at least three people have been injured in the incident.
- According to reports, the incident took place at Madhuban Chauk at 10 am February 12th. A pillar supporting a bridge collapsed and fell on the cars.
- Volunteers found what information they could on the area where the bridge is, along with contact information for First Responders for that area.
- Twitter, Facebook and TAP were monitored for any updated information.
- Train Accident – Karnataka, India
- An early morning train accident near Bengaluru, after coaches of Ernakulam-bound Bengaluru City-Ernakulam Intercity express derailed on the city’s outskirts. The accident has been reported at Belagondapalli near Anekal town on the city’s outskirts around 7.35 a.m.
- Railway sources said that nine coaches derailed causing the accident.
- HR team monitored for urgent needs, and tweets were posted with the Helpline numbers, Hashtags used #TrainDerailment, @ANI_news.
Other Humanity Road activities in the past week:
- DisasterTech Hackathon
- On Feb 7 -8th, An international conference and expo was held to challenge the tech world to come up with ways of contributing to the disaster response efforts. Here are two videos created to introduce the challenges to the participants. This is work being produced by the Virtual Social Media working group. Check-out videos: 1 and 2 .
- World Humanitarian Summit Update:
- Humanity Road met with members from the United Nations World Humanitarian summit who are leading the volunteer advocacy program.
- Pacific Endeavor 2015 Update
- We have received an invitation to represent Humanity Road at the Staff Planning Workshop in Hawaii March 22-28. Humanity Road is supporting the White Cell for the Multinational Communications Interoperability Program. The event takes place in August in the Philippines, aiming to improve coordination and deployment of communications solutions by multinational force teams in the face of disaster. You can visit and like their Facebook
- Disaster Animals
- Check-out and re-tweet Disaster Animals!
Curious about Humanity Road? Would you like to join us? Start by visiting Humanity Road’s volunteer page.