Humanity Road monitors man-made and natural disasters around the globe. Here is what has been monitored and accomplished the week of September 12-18th:
In the past week our volunteers were monitoring:
Forest Fires- Northern California
- Governor Brown has declared both Lake County and Napa County a State of Emergency, the Valley Fire grew from 50 acres to 50,000 in less than 10 hours and has destroyed 600 homes, while the Butte Fire grew to more than 70,000 acres, destroyed 250 homes and threatened another 6,400 structures.
- Between the two fires 5 people have been killed, more than 17,000 have been evacuated and about 8,000 firefighters are battling the blazes.
- HR provided 6 Social Media Reports to the Lake County Emergency Operations Center, Joint Information Center Public Information Officer, containing information to help evaluate what people were posting on social media.
- HR tagged and sorted through 124,197 tweets on Twitter and hundreds of posts in Facebook, as well as data mined Instagram, Youtube and other social media sources.
- Information is also being forwarded and amplified by HR on all social media feeds.
- On September 16, an 8.3M earthquake struck off the coast of Chile, triggering local landslides and tsunami warnings across the Pacific.
- The quake’s epicenter was located 46 kilometers west of Illapel, Chile, and media reports that shaking was felt as far away as Buenos Aires, Argentina .
- According to reports, the region of Coquimbo has been the most affected, and the government has declared a state of emergency.
- Information is being forwarded and amplified by HR on all social media feeds.
Other Humanity Road activities in the past week:
- HR is participating in National Preparedness Month (NPM). This is the first time HR has ever attempted to utilize all of our social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and Google+) to promote a common theme. NPM’s focus this week for FEMA was on “Wildfire” and the CDC’s was on “Neighborhood”.
- Several general preparedness messages and promotional posts were also used. Outreach via social media began on August 31 and continues through September 30.
- HR attended a workshop at the Virginia Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (VA VOAD). Topics included the Virginia Department of Emergency Management (VDEM)’s recent restructuring and a short course on WebEOC functions.
- HR attended a meeting at the National Institute of Health (NIH DIMrc) in Bethesda, MD where we explored opportunities to collaborate, talked about HR and the tools, resources and mission of Dimrc.
Curious about Humanity Road?
Visit Humanity Road’s volunteer page to see how you can help.