The Animals in Disaster Social Media Reporter (AiD-SMR) (a) performs Internet research to locate, monitor, and report social media communications related to disasters affecting animals, and (b) monitors and engages on social media platforms. The AiD-SMR also tracks and reports AiD social media accounts’ statistics. The candidate reports to the Humanity Road Animals in Disaster Team Lead.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Training or experience in journalism, emergency management or disaster response
- Familiarity with basic pet care and safety protocols preferred
- Experienced in using social media
- Multilingual or bilingual desirable
- Monitors assigned public domain and social media streams (e.g., Twitter, Facebook, news sites) for disaster warnings and watches affecting animals.
- Notifies the volunteer network about emerging needs.
- Monitors the AiD social media streams, adding verified content when appropriate
- Monitors AiD posts in social media streams and answers questions (in concert with Disaster Team Lead)
- Writes Animals in Disaster Digest blogs
- Creates and publishes a listserv for veterinarians to use during disasters
- Develops web page on HumanityRoad.org for AiD resources, as needed